A message from Public Health Dorset
Back to School!
Starting school or going back to school can be an exciting time for children and young people, but it can also be a worrying time too. This big change comes with many different emotions, so your child may need some support to understand and make sense of these feelings. Here are some ways you can support your child going back to school:
- Having a routine and structure can help reduce feelings of uncertainty and anxiety.
- Sticking to a good sleeping pattern is important, it can help your child’s body stay fit and healthy.
- Eating healthy balanced meals will provide your child’s body with the nutrients, vitamins, and energy it needs.
- Being active can improve your child’s mood and making it a part of their routine will do wonders for their wellbeing.
- Spending time doing the activities they enjoy is vital for their mental health and wellbeing.
- Staying at home if they feel unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms to protect others and reduce the spread of respiratory viruses.
If your child is feeling worried about starting or going back to school, start a conversation and reassure them that you are there if they need to talk to someone.