Minutes 5th February 2018


Present: Cllrs S Diamond, D Eaglestone, C Griffith, P Lamb and S Toogood.
In attendance: Dr J Davis (Clerk), County Cllr Ireland (from minute 18/19), District Cllr N Bundy and five members of the public.

Apologies for absence
18/15 An apology for absence had been received from District Cllr A Thacker.

Declarations of Interest
18/16 There were none.

Minutes of meeting held on 8 January 2018
18/17 The minutes of the meeting held on 8 January 2018 were approved as a correct record and signed.

Planning and Tree Matters

(a) Decisions and correspondence on previous consultations The following matters were noted:

(i) 14 Knighton Lane: erect single storey dwelling with attic rooms; application withdrawn 9 January 2018.

(ii) Old’s Garage, Main Street: demolish buildings and erect six dwellings; planning permission refused.

(b) Consultations

(i) Land at Knighton Lane: application for approval of reserved matters for access, appearance, landscaping, layout and scale in relation to existing outline approval; the Parish Council considered this application and resolved to object to the proposal on the grounds of the proximity of the proposed dwelling to the neighbouring property to the north, contrary to the informative note provided by the WDDC planning officer.

(ii) 22 Chalky Road: erection of detached garage; the Parish Council considered this application and resolved not to object.

(iii) Application for tree works (tree subject to TPO), 11 Old Brickfields: reduction of ash tree crown by 20%. This application had been notified to the Planning Group by e-mail and no objections had been made; the Clerk would notify WDDC accordingly.

Public participation session

18/19 A member of the public reported that no action had been taken to deal with the misleading sign on Bridleway 19 (see minute 17/133). The Clerk would again report this to DCC. A member of the public reported that vehicles were still being parked on the footway alongside the Old’s garage site, causing serious difficulties for traffic exiting Chalky Road. The Clerk would again report this to the Police Community Support Officer.

18/20 County Cllr Ireland reported that the DCC cabinet had met and approved an increase in the DCC portion of council tax of 4.99%. He understood that DCC would need to save a further £18m from its budget in 2019/20. District Cllr Bundy reported that there had still been no Ministerial decision on local government reorganisation in Dorset. However, planning for the possible change was continuing behind the scenes. The new council for the west of the county, if created, would be called “Dorset Council” and would comprise 82 councillors.

Financial Matters
18/21 The Clerk presented the February financial statement, and drew the Council’s attention to the receipts and payments since the last meeting. It was proposed by Cllr Eaglestone, seconded by Cllr Toogood, and RESOLVED to approve the following payment:
Ricoh (photocopier click charge: Oct.-Dec. 2017) £6.97

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
18/22 The Parish Council noted a paper from the Clerk on the possible implications of this new legislation for parish councils and agreed that the Clerk should attend the relevant DAPTC training course.

Parish Plan (road safety aspects)
18/23 Cllr Eaglestone reported that progress with the white lining of the virtual footways in the village was still being delayed by weather conditions, but that preliminary marking of the line outside the church had been undertaken by DCC officers. The SID, presently located at the western end of the village, was not functioning properly and he was continuing to monitor the situation and to liaise with DCC officers.

Emergency Plan
18/24 Cllr Lamb reported that he was progressing two work streams: the re-drafting of the text with which Cllr Griffith was assisting, and the identification of volunteers who were willing to be part of the emergency plan team. The Chairman said that the website and the village Facebook page could be used for recruitment purposes.

Withdrawal of No. 5 bus service
18/25 The Parish Council was pleased to note that Damory had agreed to provide a service on the No. 5 route on an experimental basis until September, with only a minor adjustment to the timetable. District Cllr Bundy reported that he, along with District Cllr Thacker and Richard Drax MP, had met with staff from First to discuss their decision to withdraw from the No. 5 the route and had been told that the company had sought funding from DCC to assist but that this had been refused. Mike Gant, Rural Transport Officer, expressed his concerns about the future of the service, fearing that Damory would not be able to sustain the route beyond September. He reported that he had been unable to contact the company, that the timetable had been adjusted without any attempt to consult passengers and that the fares had increased. Mr Gant said that he would continue to pursue the matter by seeking information from users about their experiences since Damory had taken over the service. The Parish Council agreed to consider how to encourage use of the bus in the long-term, and was investigating the role of the concessionary bus pass in the financing of bus services.

18/26 The Chairman reported that the new website, www.broadmayne.org, was now live and that a number of complimentary comments had been received. The flier advertising the new site had been delivered to all households in the village.

Traveller caravans on the ridgeway, off Chalky Road
18/27 Two letters from the Legal and Democratic Services Department of DCC were noted, one explaining the process which had been undertaken to secure the eviction order for the travellers, and the second considering the possibility of legal measures to close the route, which is an Unclassified County Road, to motor vehicular traffic to prevent such encampments being set up in the future, and also to try to limit fly-tipping which was also prevalent on the route. It was noted that the eviction appeared to have been successful since there were no longer any caravans in situ. The Clerk was instructed to continue to liaise with DCC and WDDC officers about legal measures to close the route to motor vehicles, and to report current fly-tipping to the Dorset Waste Partnership.

18/28 The following items of correspondence were noted and action agreed as appropriate:

(i) Invitation to Dorset AONB Annual Forum.
(ii) Dorset Care Record (the bringing together of all health records to facilitate access to them by medical and social care staff). It was agreed to consider inviting someone to speak about this at the Annual Parish Meeting in May
(iii) Invitation to DAPTC Annual Conference. It was agreed that a place should be booked at this for the Chairman and/or Vice Chairman.
(iv) Invitation to Planning Session at South Walks House. It was agreed that a place should be booked for Cllr Griffith.

Matters of Report
18/29 (a) The Clerk reported that she had received a complaint from a resident about flooding in the vicinity of no 29 Martel Close. He had asked the Parish Council to add its voice to his in seeking to resolve the problem. Cllr Griffith would check the situation and advise the Clerk who would report the problem as appropriate.

(b) The Chairman reported that two-thirds of those who responded to the consultation on the question of asking DCC to consider the provision of a light-controlled crossing on Main Street had voted against it. It was agreed not to pursue this matter any further.

(c) Cllr Eaglestone said that after a recent heavy rain storm he had videoed the run-off in Conway Drive and sent the film to DCC officers (see minute 18/13(b)). This showed very clearly the nature of the problem. He would continue to pursue the matter with the officers.

Date of next meeting
18/30 The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Monday 5 March 2018 at the Methodist Church Hall at 7.30 pm.

Co-option of new Councillors to fill the two casual vacancies on the council
18/31 In closed session, and after considerable discussion (there being three good candidates all of whom could have been appointed) the Council agreed to offer the vacant positions to Philip Marriott and Richard Macer-Wright who would be co-opted at the next meeting and to ask the other candidate if he would be willing to assist with other current village projects. The Chairman would contact all three candidates. All three would be encouraged to stand as councillors at the elections in May 2019.