Minutes 6th March 2017

Minutes of the Meeting Held On Monday 6 March 2017 in the Methodist Church Hall, Broadmayne

Present Cllrs S Diamond, D Eaglestone, C Griffith, P Lamb and S Toogood.

In attendance Dr J Davis (Clerk), District Cllr A Thacker, District Cllr N Bundy and ten members of the public.

Apologies for absence
17/27 Apologies for absence had been received from Cllr Jury and County Cllr Canning.

Declarations of Interest
17/28 There were none.

Minutes of meeting held on 6 February 2017
17/29 The minutes of the meeting held on 6 February 2017 were approved and signed as a correct record.

Planning and Tree Matters
17/30

(a) Decisions and correspondence on previous consultations The following matters were noted:

(i) Olds Broadmayne (24 Main Street)—demolish existing garage and erect two 3-bedroom semi-detached houses and five 3-bedroom terraced houses and associated parking: planning permission refused. The architect appointed by Olds to prepare new plans for the site, Mr Colin Turner, was present at the meeting. He explained his brief and listened to comments from neighbours and the Parish Council about the development of the site, in particular about highway issues. He agreed to provide the Parish Council with initial sketches of his proposals before submitting any new planning application for the site.
(ii) 22 Chalky Road—Erect a two storey chalet style residence with the variation of condition 1 of previous planning permission to include a garage/car port; planning permission granted subject to seven conditions.
(iii) 46 Main Street—alterations and additions to form new roof and associated car parking. Planning permission had been granted for these works but it appeared that proper neighbour and site notification procedures had not been followed by WDDC. A site meeting had been held which was attended by Parish Councillors, neighbours and WDDC officers and it had been explained that despite the District Council’s admitted faults in this matter, the decision could only be set aside by a High Court judge following Judicial Review of the matter. Following discussion, it was agreed that the Parish Council would approach the applicants with a list of the main concerns being expressed by neighbours to see if any mitigation measures could be agreed.
(iv) Broadmayne Village Hall—non-material amendment to planning permission: alteration of kitchen windows on the north-east elevation: window sills to be lowered to match adjacent existing windows.

(b) Any planning matters received after the publication of the agenda

(i) Consultation on planning application for land to east of South Drove Farm, South Drove—change of use of the land from equestrian to residential & erection of one dwelling (application for full planning permission). The Parish Council considered this application and resolved not to object.

(c) Other planning matters A review of the Parish Council’s protocol for dealing with planning applications in the light of WDDC’s new consultation procedures was deferred until the April meeting. The Clerk would draft some recommendations for consideration prior to the meeting.

Public participation session
17/31 A member of the public raised the issue of cars parking outside the shop for long periods which were creating problems for deliveries to the shop. He also mentioned the poor state of the pavement outside the shop. The Chairman said that he was due to meet the local Community Highways Officer from DCC shortly and that he would raise these matters with him.

The issue of the double yellow lines in Osmington Drove being worn away was also mentioned. An allotment tenant queried why the allotment rents were being increased. The Clerk explained that this was because the amount raised in rents no longer covered the expenditure on water rates and grass and hedge cutting at the allotment site.

Reports
17/32 District Cllr Thacker reported that WDDC had set its budget for 2017–18, and that there would be no change in service levels. He further reported that the proposals for local government re-organisation were now with the Minister at the Department for Communities and Local Government. A ministerial decision was expected by 23 March, although the final decision would rest with Parliament.

It was anticipated that any Parliamentary debate would take place before the summer recess. District Cllr Bundy reported that the change from a cabinet system to a committee system (as voted for at the referendum) at WDDC would be in operation by May. Cllr Toogood reported that the Playing Fields Association had met in February and had agreed on maintenance works at the tennis court to take place in the autumn, and spring of next year. It had also been agreed that responsibility for the annual inspection of the fitness trail equipment would be transferred to Fresh Air Fitness, the company which had manufactured and installed the equipment, and which was now maintaining the equipment under contract to the Parish Council. Mike Gant, Rural Transport Officer, said that there was considerable uncertainty about the future of the 101 bus service. If the county council did withdraw the subsidy then the decision about the commercial viability of the route would rest with the bus company.

He had experienced difficulties in obtaining relevant information from the county council and he urged the three parish councils served by the route, Broadmayne, Kinghtsford and Crossways, to work together to try to find a solution. It was agreed that the Parish Council would contact the neighbouring parishes, and County Cllr Canning to try to take this forward.

Financial Matters
17/33

(a) Financial Statement The Clerk presented the February financial statement, and drew the Council’s attention to the receipts and payments since the last meeting. It was proposed by Cllr Toogood, seconded by Cllr Griffith and RESOLVED to approve payments as follows:
Payments already made
Bristol Wessex Billing Services Ltd (allotment water bill) £16.74
Wessex Grounds Services (work on playing field) £84.00
Principal Health and Safety Ltd (CDM works at hall) £714.00
Spetisbury Construction Ltd (building work at hall) £24,222.64
Payments to be made
Janet Davis (clerk’s salary Jan/Feb/March 2017) £1,105.60
HMRC (tax on clerk’s salary) £276.40
Janet Davis (out-of pocket expenses 2016/17, and home as office allowance) £234.66
(b) Grant application for the sum of £2045.50 from St. Martin’s PCC for maintenance of grave yard and other works After discussion it was proposed by Cllr Lamb, seconded by Cllr Eaglestone, and RESOLVED to award a grant of £1,600 to the PCC under the powers provided by section 214(6) of the Local Government Act 1972.
(c) Review of internal controls (including the effectiveness of the internal auditor and risk assessment) The Council considered

(i) a report from Cllr Lamb who had carried out a review of the internal controls with the Clerk,
(ii) a paper setting out the internal audit controls and
(iii) the risk assessment. Following discussion of these matters a number of updates to the risk assessment table were agreed. The Clerk would make these amendments so that the document could be signed-off at the April Parish Council meeting. Consideration would also be given to the question of where the allotment deposit money should be held.

(d) Appointment of internal auditor for 2017-2018 Having considered the effectiveness of the internal auditor, it was proposed by Cllr Eaglestone, seconded by Cllr Lamb, and RESOLVED to appoint Mr J Dickson as the Council’s internal auditor for the coming year. Mr Dickson had said that he was willing to continue in post.
(f) The asset register was considered and it was agreed that a several items shown should be formally ‘written off’. The Clerk would prepare a paper on this for consideration at a future meeting.

Grass and hedge cutting contract April 2017 to March 2019
17/34 The Parish Council considered a revised grass and hedge cutting contract with Wessex Grounds Services for the period April 2017 to March 2019, including a 2% increase in total costs for each year of the extended contract. It was proposed by Cllr Griffith, seconded by Cllr Eaglestone and RESOLVED to extend the contract for this two year period. It was also proposed by Cllr Eaglestone, seconded by Cllr Griffith and RESOLVED that the football pitch should be partially over-seeded at the end of the present football season at a cost of £300 plus VAT.

Parish Plan
17/35 Cllr Eaglestone reported that he had attended a meeting for Speedwatch coordinators in February, and that the Speedwatch sites in Broadmayne were to be re-appraised with a view to re-starting the Speedwatch initiative in the village.

Emergency Plan
17/36 In the absence of Cllr Jury it was agreed that further discussion of the revision of the plan should be postponed.

Village Hall project
17/37 The Chairman reported that despite minor delays caused by poor weather work on the hall extension was progressing well, with the walls already built to their full height.

Annual Parish Meeting
17/38 It was agreed that consideration should be given to inviting an officer from DCC to speak about proposed road safety measures in the village. Cllr Eaglestone would explore this possibility, although other suggestions were still welcome.

Correspondence
17/39 The following items of correspondence were noted, and any necessary actions agreed:

(i) From Dorset Community Action: Dorset Best Village Competitions 2017. It was agreed that the shop should be nominated in the Best Village Shop class in recognition of the great appreciation felt by residents for the efforts of the new owners. The clerk would draft the nomination.
(ii) From DAPTC: attendance at annual conference on 23 March. It was agreed that Cllr Toogood would attend. The Clerk would make the booking.
(iii) From WDDC: invitation to attend councillor training session on planning on 5 April.
(iv) From DCC: Consultation on Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole Draft Waste Plan – Waste Site Options in Blandford and Purbeck. The Clerk would circulate the information and a decision would be made on the need for any response in time for consideration at the April Parish Council meeting.

Matters of Report
17/40 The Clerk reported

(i) Complaint about dog fouling This had been reported to the WDDC dog warden.
(ii) Bus services during re-surfacing works on A352 DCC had advised that arrangements were being made to deal with school buses but that it would be for the bus company to determine any necessary alternative arrangements for scheduled bus services.
(iii) Refurbishment of benches Cllr Griffith would provide the Clerk with details of suggested wood treatment products.
(iv) Allotment update The only vacant plot now remaining was the plot which had been unworked for some considerable time which was being offered rent free for two years. The rent demands had been sent out and only two were outstanding.

Clerk’s annual appraisal
17/41 Consideration of this was deferred until the April meeting.

Date of next meeting
17/42 The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Monday 3 April 2017 at the Methodist Church Hall at 7.30 pm.