Minutes 6th November 2017

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting Held On Monday 6 November 2017 in the Methodist Church Hall, Broadmayne

Present Cllrs S Diamond, D Eaglestone, C Griffith, P Lamb and S Toogood.

In attendance Dr J Davis (Clerk), District Cllrs N Bundy and A Thacker and 14 members of the public.

Apologies for absence
17/146 An apology for absence had been received from County Cllr Ireland.

Declarations of Interest
17/147 There were none.

Minutes of meeting held on 2 October 2017
17/148 The minutes of the meeting held on 2 October 2017 were approved as a correct record and signed.

Planning and Tree Matters
17/149

(a) Decisions and correspondence on previous consultations The following matters were noted: (i) 19 Rectory Road: demolish garage and flat roof extension and replace with two storey side extension and other works; planning permission granted subject to six conditions.
(b) Consultations

(i) Olds Garage site, Main Street: demolish existing buildings and erect six dwellings. The Parish Council considered this application and comments from local residents and a representative from the architect’s firm, and resolved not to object to the application, considering the present design to be an improvement on the earlier plans, and welcoming the provision of the footway on Chalky Road. A comment suggesting that a wall would be preferable to an artificial hedge at the site boundary would be made.
(ii) 14 Knighton Lane: erect single storey dwelling with attic rooms. The Parish Council considered this application, and the views of neighbours, and resolved to object to the application on the grounds that the proposed dwelling would have an overpowering impact on a neighbouring property by virtue of its higher elevation and size. It was noted that the site plan was inaccurate in its depiction of a neighbouring property rendering the potential impact of the proposed development less apparent.

Public participation session
17/150

(i) A member of the public expressed his on-going concerns about the surfacing of the northern end of Bramble Drove which, despite its status as a definitive bridleway, was used for public vehicular access to the A352. The problems were exacerbated by drainage problems at the western end of Conway Drive. It was agreed that the Parish Council would again seek to pursue a solution to this problem with the county council, and the member of the public was advised to make contact with County Councillor Ireland.
(ii) A member of the public expressed concern about the white lines at the centre of the A352 through parts of the village not being re-painted. Cllr Eaglestone explained that this was part of the speed reduction initiative: edge lines would be re-painted. The effectiveness of this scheme would be monitored.
(iii) A member of the public expressed concern about the safety of the zebra crossing in the village and said that there was support within the village for it to be upgraded to a light controlled (‘toucan’) crossing. The Parish Council agreed to investigate the views of residents on this proposal with notices asking people to provide details of their experiences of problems at the crossing. (iv) A number of problems arising from the re-surfacing of the A352 were identified by members of the public. These included damage to adjoining roads, damage to the newly re-resurfaced road and inadequate treatment of the road surface around sewer covers. The Parish Council would attempt to raise these matters with the contractors and the county council.

Reports
17/151 The Clerk read a report provided by County Cllr Ireland which covered a number of issues including the county council’s budget (the predicted overspend was just over £6 million but it was hoped this would be reduced by possibly 50% by the end of March), efforts to get the footway outside the village shop repaired, a proposed meeting with Sir Oliver Letwin MP, county council officers and representatives of Broadmayne and Winterbourne Farringdon Parish Councils to discuss speed limits on the A352. District Cllr Bundy reported that there had still been no announcement from central government about local government re-organisation in Dorset. The continuing delay would make adherence with the timetable difficult. District Cllr Thacker reported that Dorset Waste Partnership would be clearing litter from the West Stafford bypass shortly.

Also he had recently attended a meeting with the police: the main items under discussion were the need to be vigilant about the terrorist threat, even in rural areas, and the need to keep all farm and garden valuables in secure premises since rural crime was increasing. Cllr Toogood said that the Playing Fields Association would be holding its AGM on 23 November and that new volunteers to join the committee would be very welcome. She also reported on the most recent meeting of the DAPTC Central Area Committee at which DORBAG (the Dorset Broadcasting Action Group) had requested news submissions for the BBC’s local breakfast show on Radio Solent . Bus services, the planning process and devolving services to parish and town councils had also been discussed. Cllr Diamond reported on the DAPTC AGM at which the CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group) had presented their proposals and the leader of DCC had discussed preparations for more working together amongst the local councils.

Financial Matters
17/152

(a) Financial Statement The Clerk presented the November financial statement, and drew the Council’s attention to the receipts and payments since the last meeting. It was proposed by Cllr Toogood, seconded by Cllr Eaglestone, and RESOLVED to approve payments as follows:
Payments to be made
DAPTC (Clerks’ Seminar fee) £60.00
Ricoh (photocopier click charge (July – Sept) £6.97
DCC (stickers for Remembrance Sunday signage) £10.80
RJS Window Cleaning Services £264.00
Royal British Legion (poppy wreath) £100.00
BDO (external audit fee) £480.00
(b) To receive and accept the audited annual return for 2016–17
The Clerk reported that the external auditors, BDO LLP, had completed the audit for the financial year ended 31 March 2017, and had identified no matters requiring attention. Councillors noted the Annual Return. It was proposed by Cllr Diamond, seconded by Cllr Lamb, and RESOLVED to approve and accept the Annual Return. The Clerk was thanked for achieving a smooth and trouble free audit.
(c) To consider advice from insurers regarding the purchase of the Speed Indicator Device The Parish Council noted that the insurance broker had advised that the additional premium to cover the device would be £11.37 but that payment of this sum could be deferred until the next renewal date. It was agreed to accept this quotation.
(d) To consider the first draft of the budget for 2018–19 The draft budget was considered. After discussion, it was proposed by Cllr Eaglestone, seconded by Cllr Griffith and RESOLVED to adopt the draft budget, with the precept set at £26,000.
(e) To consider and adopt revised Financial Regulations It was agreed that Councillors should give further consideration to the draft Financial Regulations with a view to adopting the amended version at the December meeting.

Proposed amendment to the Complaints Procedure to cover vexatious or abusive behaviour
17/153 The proposed changes were noted and discussed and it was agreed that Cllr Eaglestone would draft a second version for consideration at the December meeting.

Parish Plan (road safety aspects)
17/154 Cllr Eaglestone reported that the SID would be delivered on 17 November. He hoped that the SID installation, the painting white of the village gates and the new markings on the A352 would happen at roughly the same time.

Emergency Plan
15/155 Cllr Lamb reported that he would be bringing a draft of the new emergency plan to the December Parish Council meeting. In preparing this he had met with the Civil Contingency Officer at the county council.

Arrangements for Remembrance Sunday
17/156 The Clerk confirmed that all arrangements were in place for the day: DCC had made an order for the closure of the A352 between the cross roads and the junction with Rectory Road from 10.50am until 11.10am on 12 November, and the advance warning signs were in place. Cllr Eaglestone had arranged for a team of volunteers to act as marshals on the day. Keith Blandamer would be reading the names at the war memorial ceremony.

Matters of Report
17/157

(a) The Clerk reported that the Gypsy and Traveller Liaison Officer had advised that county lawyers had applied to the courts for the eviction of the travellers on the Ridgeway.
(b) The Chairman reported that following a report of overnight parking by a large vehicle delivering to JDP he had again visited the company and written to them. They wished to help but on a further occasion had been unable to identify the vehicle concerned and asked for reports of problems to include details of vehicle registration numbers. He also reported that Stan Harland had identified three good causes to be beneficiaries of some of the Patient Support Group funds (see minute 17/73(a)(v). These were the Cowleaze Luncheon Club for its Christmas lunch, St. Martin’s Community Hall to help pay for a disabled toilet, and the Dorset County Hospital Charity Cancer Appeal. The Chairman also reported that he was continuing to investigate the future of the village website.
(c) Councillors Cllr Lamb said that he had attended the recent planning seminar for councillors; the Clerk had circulated the slides from the event.

Matters received after the publication of the agenda
17/158 The following items of correspondence, received after the publication of the agenda, were noted and any action agreed.

(i) From DCC: Advance notice of Minerals and Waste Plan consultation.
(ii) From Margaret Eaglestone on behalf of the Broadmayne churches about Christmas celebrations in the village hall on 10 December.
(iii) From the occupier of Cowleaze House about the scaffolding they have had erected around the house.

Date of next meeting
17/159 The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Monday 4 December 2017 at the Methodist Church Hall at 7.30 pm.