BROADMAYNE PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD REMOTELY ON 7 DECEMBER 2020

 

Present

Cllrs S Diamond, C Griffith, P Lamb, C Lawley, P Marriott, R Macer-Wright, and S Toogood.

In attendance

Dr J Davis (Clerk), Dorset Cllr Tarr, and one member of the public.

Apologies for absence

20/140

There were none.

Declarations of Interest and requests for dispensations

20/141

See minute 20/127 for the grant of dispensations in respect of the setting of the budget and precept.

Minutes of meeting held on 2 November 2020 

20/142            

The minutes of the meeting held on 2 November 2020 were approved as a correct record. They would be signed in due course.

Planning and Tree Matters

20/143

Correspondence on previous applications Footways around Old’s garage site The Chairman reported that he had been advised by a Dorset Council officer that, although the developer had been requested to consider works on the Main Street footway, due to additional costs but primarily because the planning consent did not dictate that any additional measures were required to deter parking along that stretch, a double-kerb option was not proposed. The regulations and road safety team at Dorset Council had advised that preventive parking measures were not usually proposed without a clear need and therefore the situation needed to be monitored post works; if a parking issue adversely affecting highway safety did arise then measures would be considered.  The Chairman would contact Dorset Council again to ensure that the planning condition requiring the expunging of the vehicular access crossings on Main Street was completed before the properties were occupied.

Reports

20/144            

Dorset Cllr Tarr reported on the flooding at the Dorchester bypass near Max Gate.  Discussions had taken place with Highways England which was responsible for the A35; the intention was that maintenance-type operations would be undertaken this winter to try to prevent some storm water reaching the junction, as well as more extensive works to restore the original soakaway capacityThis was part of a wider programme of improvements on the bypass.  He also reported that consultation on the Local Plan would commence shortly.
Cllr Toogood reported that the Playing Field Association had held its AGM; a new committee had been established but more volunteers were still needed.
Cllr Toogood also reported that she had attended the DAPTC Central Area Committee AGM; amongst the items discussed were a review of the DAPTC committee structure (part of the general review of the constitution), and encouraging younger people to stand as councillors.
The Chairman reported that he had attended the main DAPTC AGM.  Amongst the items discussed was the increase in subscription.
Cllr Lamb had attended a meeting of the Dorset Climate Action Network (Dorset CAN) which was well-supported.

Financial Matters

20/145

(a) The Clerk had prepared the December financial statement, showing the receipts and payments since the last meeting.   It was proposed by Cllr Toogood, seconded by Cllr Griffith, and RESOLVED to approve the following payments:

Payments already made

SLCC Enterprises (new edition of Clerks’ Manual)                                                 £     52.30

Steve Diamond (refund of cost of printing broadband leaflets)                             £     37.65

Steve Diamond (refund of Zoom fee)                                                                      £     14.39

Royal British Legion (donation for poppy wreath and large poppies)                  £    120.00

Payment to be made

J.Davis (salary Oct/Nov/Dec)                                                                                   £ 1,579.11

Broadmayne PFA (insurance)                                                                                  £    687.28

Fresh-AirFitness (annual maintenance and checks)                                              £    711.14

(b) Budget for 2021-22   The revised draft of the budget was considered.  Cllr Toogood reported that at the AGM of the DAPTC Central Committee there had been a discussion about the impact of the tax base rate on the Parish Council proportion of Council Tax.  Neil Wedge, CEO of DAPTC, had urged Parish Councils not to submit their precept requests until after Dorset Council had issued its final tax base rate figures on 11 December.   In the light of this, and after discussion, it was proposed by Cllr Marriott, seconded by Cllr Lamb, and RESOLVED to adopt the draft budget, with the precept set at £27,000 but not to submit that figure until the figures from DC were seen.  This would allow the matter to be reconsidered at the January 2021 meeting if necessary.

Shared-use route Broadmayne to Dorchester Working Group

20/146      

Cllr Macer-Wright reported that the group had met remotely with officers of Dorset Council on 11 November.  The officers were able to support the preliminary work on the route and had prepared an action plan, however they were looking to the Parish Council to make contact and start discussions with the relevant landowners.  Initial contact had been made.  Cllr Tarr said that he was willing to help with this. Cllr Macer-Wright would be attending the next meeting of Knightsford Parish Council to explain the project since most of the route was in West Knighton and West Stafford.

Travellers on the Ridgeway track

20/147

The Clerk reported that she had been advised by the Gypsy and Traveller Liaison Officer that Dorset Council had obtained an ‘Order For Possession’ on 26 November, although the occupants had left  the site left the day before the court date.  The officer would be asking the owner of the damaged caravan and van on the site to remove those vehicles and if he didn’t comply she would be taking the necessary steps to clear them.        The Clerk had written again to the Director of Legal and Democratic Services at Dorset Council about measures to limit such activities in the future. The Clerk was asked to keep pressing both officers involved.

Dorset Council Climate and Ecological Emergency Strategy and Action Plan

20/148             Cllr Lamb and the Clerk had prepared a response to Dorset Council’s consultation on its strategy and action plan using the comments submitted by Cllrs.  Both were thanked for their work and, after discussion, it was agreed that this should be submitted to Dorset Council.

Other matters of Report

20/149            

(a) The Clerk reported on the following ongoing matters.
(i) Work on the replacement of the bus shelter roof had now been delayed until February.
(ii)  Scottish and Southern Electricity had said that recent power interruptions were due to a number of minor failings in the distribution system and did not seem to be related to any kind of underlying issue. They said that bad weather and equipment failure due to environmental/third party damage or degradation over time was a common issue with the network.
(iii) An officer of Wessex Water had been in contact with the resident who had experienced sewage contaminated flooding.  Both Wessex Water and Dorset Council were investigating what might be done but part of the problem appeared to be that surface water was discharging into the sewer and overwhelming it, causing foul water to contaminate the flood water around the homes.
(iv) Works at Bramble Drove etc.  The local Community Highway Officer had advised that he had raised a job to clear (and reinstate where possible) the stone debris washed down Bramble Drove to the A352 junction.  He had also raised jetting jobs to clear blocked gullies on Conway Drive and Broadmead because of their potential impact on Bramble Drove. The other areas affected by heavy rain (mostly on Chalky Rd) which had caused debris to be deposited on the highway, were either swept by the department’s sweeper or reported to Dorset Waste.  The Clerk was asked to make further enquiries about long-term improvements to the drainage on Conway Drive which had been proposed in 2018.
(v)  A further complaint had been received about the new stile and the existing gate on FP 7, off Knighton Lane, the stile being difficult to use and the gate unopenable.  Dorset Council responded quickly on this occasion but enquiries are being made about the cost of permanently replacing the stile with a kissing gate.  Councillors agreed that the cost of this could be met from CIL funding.

(b) The Chairman reported on the following matters.
(i) Following the advertisement of the proposed Traffic Regulation Order to limit waiting outside the shop, Dorset Council had received a number of comments suggesting that the zone should be moved closer to Osmington Drove.  Since there was general agreement about this, Dorset Council would be re-advertising the order showing a revised zone.
(ii)  He had received a complaint about parking issues on Chalky Road, and about the surfacing of the bottom end of Chalky Road and on Knighton Lane near the bus stop where a large puddle was forming.  He would wait until the works associated with the sewers for the new properties at the Olds site had been completed and then he would ask the Community Highways Officer to make a site visit to look at the problems.

(c)  Councillors
(i) Cllr Toogood thanked the Chairman, and those who had worked with him, for the production of the Remembrance Sunday video which had been very well-received.
(ii) Cllr Lamb said that the building work at 6 Chalky Road was almost complete and new topsoil had been deposited on the verge outside and seeded.  This area had subsequently been damaged by a large vehicle and there was other damage associated with the development on the other side of the road.  The Chairman agreed to contact the site manager about these issues.

Date of next meeting

20/150            

The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Monday 4 January 2021 at 7.30 pm.  By Zoom, unless otherwise advised.